Coaching #2 - What Do You Want?


This ‘simple’ question is one of the most difficult we face as human beings.  To help with this article take a moment to write down what you want now in your life.  Think about it and answer it in any way that is meaningful for you.  What do you want?  I am now the supervisor in the examination hall telling you not to turn the page until you are happy with your answer or you want to give up trying.



There are several types of outcome when we are faced with the question ‘what do you want?’.  Take what you have written and see if it fits with any one or a combination of these outcomes.
1.     You want to win the lottery, obtain a surprise inheritance, not to have the illness you have or some other very low chance possible event to occur.
2.     You don’t want your current life but you know there is nothing you can do to change it for all the reasons you can state.
3.     You find it much easier to say what you don’t want than to state clearly what it is you do want to do.
4.     You state clearly what you want.  You want to be a writer (or whatever your clear want is) and you are going to do everything possible to make it happen.
I can tell you the first three outcomes are much more common than the last one.  The clarity in outcome 4 is quite rare over the age of 20.  I am interested to know if your answer fits in to a different category than those given here.  We are all interested in understanding why this question is so difficult to answer.  As we discussed in BE WHO YOU WANT TO BE our brain is there to worry and seek out the biggest threats to us.  It’s job is to protect us. If you suggest to it that you want to do something different to your current life it is going to immediately seek out the risks of the unknown, magnify those risks and take your hand to lead you back to your current life.  There the risks are known, managed and understood even if you are not doing what you want to do.

In every present moment we rely on our past to shape our future.  We treat the past as our story of who we are and comfortably slip in to the future that past proposes.  By allowing our past to shape our future we prefer the dissatisfaction that gives to the risks we see in the many exciting possibilities available to us in the present.  One way to think about this is that the army to protect our current way of life is three times the size of the army that wants to take us where we want to go.
  
The problem we have with the question ‘what do you want?’ is that we find it difficult to answer that question alone.  The answer ‘I want to be a writer and am going to do everything  I can to make it happen’ even has too much in it.  The answer to the question is ‘I want to be a writer.’  Do you see how clear that is as an answer to the question?
Instead of answering the question we also think about the problems associated with what we want, our own inability to change and downplay the help we might get from others.  So I might say ‘I hate being an investment banker and would love to be a writer but clearly I can’t because I have a mortgage and repayments on my Porsche.  I know I would miss the great holidays I have and inside myself know it is better to spend years earning lots of money so I can enjoy myself on my holidays and when I am older.  I also have no real idea how to go about becoming a writer and don’t believe I would see it through.’  The important words in this speech are ‘would love to be a writer.’  Look at what you have written and see if you can see clearly your answer to the question.  Strip away all the other stuff.

The human mind finds it very difficult to give a simple answer to a question like ‘what do you want?’  Instead it immediately looks at the risks of any proposal you come up with ‘here are all the reasons that won’t work’, it reminds you of all the efforts you have made in your life to change that failed ‘I know I just wouldn’t see it through’ and it assumes you will not get any help from others to do down the path you want to go down ‘I know dad will immediately say you are mad to give up what you have got for a crazy notion to write.’  You can see how attractive writing down ‘I want to win the lottery’ is.  It takes all the difficulties associated with the question off your shoulders.  The only way through this is to break up our answer in to four component parts:
1.     What do you want?
2.     What is getting in the way?
3.     What are you going to do about it?
4.     What help do you need?

At this point I will illustrate the four steps by telling you a story about a friend who told me he wanted to be a scratch golfer.  At the time he was playing off a handicap of 10.  The want is clear ‘I want a zero handicap for my golf.’  So what is getting in the way, what are you going to do about it and what help do you need are the other components to be considered.  We worked through these questions and he said  ‘I need to practice and play more.  That is going to eat in to other things I do like watching football, going to the theatre and time with my wife and children.  I probably need to play at least one more time a week and maybe another 10 hours a week on the practice ground.  I need help from the pro with more video sessions and I suppose I should watch more golf to see how others incorporate their learnings.’  As I probed with my questions I could see my friend was getting more and more agitated and eventually he said ‘you know what….I don’t want to be a scratch golfer.’  He didn’t but there are scratch golfers out there who are married with children, have given up other interests and do steps 2-4 to do what they want to do.
Take your answer to the question ‘what do you want?’ and decompose it in to the four questions above.  When you have distilled out the clear answer forget about the other three components and look at it to see if it is what you want.  Does it raise your spirits and make you feel your life would be so much more complete if you were able to do it?  I want to be a writer.  I want a new relationship in my life.  I want to travel the world.  I want to help the less fortunate.  I want to dance.
Doing this work is not as easy as carrying on with your current life.  The other army has three times the soldiers, so you are going to have to be smart and determined.  If you now have a clear statement of what you want just hold that thought and let it take hold without constraints.  In the next discussion we will consider ‘what is getting in the way?’ as we try to understand if it is real, imagined or programmed.

Len Williamson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography #1 - The Death of Alan Kurdi

Photography #2 - Death of the Wilderness